Classification Suite reduces and reports data from sieve and hydrometer, and Atterberg limits tests and automatically classifies soils via USCS, AASHTO, USDA, Burmister and DOT-specific methods.
- Reports can be exported to .PDF files
- Raw testing data can be exported to XML files which can be imported into Excel
- The software features both submittal-quality chart reports and textural reports listing raw testing data.
- Multiple report chart report formats are available for reporting particle size, and Atterberg test results.
- Calculated results (e.g., percent gravel, sand, silt and clay, LL, PL and PI and USCS soil classification) are available for inclusion on LOGDRAFT boring log reports.
Classification Suite is site licensed. One license fee covers unlimited installations at a single address and there are no ongoing maintenance costs.
Particle Size Distribution Features
Video walkthroughsD7928 Calibration Relation Method
Classification Suite supports both sieve and hydrometer tests.
- ASTM C136 • ASTM D1140 • ASTM D6913 • ASTM D7928 • AASHTO T 11 • AASHTO T 27 • AASHTO T 88 • ASTM D422 (standard retired, but still supported) • State DOT Standards • Australian Standard 1141.11
- Sieve tests can utilize multiple sample splits
- "Sieve nest" lists simplify data entry by pre-filling in the list of sieves used for a test
- The software can check for sample conformance with up to three material specifications
- Specifications are stored in a program-maintained database for reuse on subsequent tests
- A composite particle size distribution curve is built from sieve and hydrometer tests performed on a single split sample
- Fractional percentages (e.g., percent gravel, coarse, medium and fine sand, etc.) are calculated and reported. Percentages can be calculated using the particle size divisions specified by ASTM, AASHTO, Burmister, Wentworth, CanSIS, BS 5930 and others.
- Diameters at various retained percentages (e.g., D10, D30, D60), coefficients of concavity and uniformity (Cc and Cu) fineness modulus results are automatically calculated from the particle size distribution curve
- Curves may be plotted on semi-log, Wentworth (Phi), .45 power, log(size) vs. probability or linearly-scaled charts
- Charts can also include specification envelopes or specification bars indicating conformance to user-entered specifications
Sieve and hydrometer test standards
- Atterberg standards: ASTM D4318 • AASHTO T 89 • AASHTO T 90 • Australian Standard 12126.96.36.199, 12188.8.131.52 and 12184.108.40.206
- Index values (Atterberg liquid and plastic limit, plasticity and liquidity index) are automatically calculated from raw moisture content data and blow counts
- One-point liquid limits are supported
- Natural moisture contents are calculated via ASTM D2216
- Using particle size and Atterberg data the program can automatically classify soils using a number of different methods, including USCS (ASTM D 2487) AASHTO M 145 (aka ASTM D3282), USDA, Burmister and AS 1726.
Additional DOT-specific classification systems are freely downloadable from our website/
- USDA textural triangle reports can be generated
Learn more about Classification Suite...